Smell (Irrelevant to effects)
In its powder form, Joy Organic’s CBD Energy Focus Drink Mix (Happy Berry Flavor) drink mix smells of strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry, but with a hint of something that we could only describe as homemade play-doh. Fortunately, that note dissipated upon mixing, leaving the sweet berry profile front and center — much better.
Taste (Irrelevant to effects)
The beverage created by the mix is powerfully sweet — the package recommends mixing the contents with 12-24 oz of water, but we’d recommend erring on the side of a larger glass in case you need to water it down. Unless you like things exceedingly sweet, you’ll probably prefer higher water to powder ratio.
Since the product is sweetened with a combination of sucralose and stevia, the sweetness takes the forefront even when quite diluted. That said, it does taste pleasantly of berries and the flavor is light and enjoyable overall. However, there is a caveat: if you don’t care for the taste of stevia, you’ll probably have trouble enjoying this product.
As a powder, the mix is about the consistency and color of a pink Pixie Stick. It’s evenly ground and relatively low dust, making for quick mixing.
Once the product is mixed, it turns a cloudy pink with tiny, bright-pink dots floating about (these dissolve with further mixing for the most part, but it does lend a sort of festive appeal). It’s not dissimilar in appearance to Crystal Light or another powdered drink mix.
Effects (Onset, Duration, Intensity)
We felt the energy-boosting effects of this product pretty quickly — about 15-20 minutes after consumption. Unlike our daily cup of coffee, this beverage didn’t leave us feeling jittery or on edge: the water-soluble CBD it contains helped balance the effects of the caffeine to mitigate its side effects. Even those of us who tend to avoid caffeine because it exacerbates our anxiety did surprisingly well with this beverage, feeling energized without feeling frazzled.
Best Used For
If you’re looking for a way to boost your CBD intake and already use caffeine to start your day (or keep it going — we’ve done the late-afternoon latte thing too!), this product might be a good alternative to an energy drink or another macchiato. It would also make good workout fuel (it’s got a good dose of BCAAs) without adding extra calories to burn off at the gym.
For one thing, it’s much lower in sugar than competitors, which can help you avoid the dreaded crash that comes after consuming a Red Bull or Monster. Furthermore, the product contains a healthy dose of CBD that can provide relief from mild symptoms and supplement doses for people who need higher levels of daily cannabinoids. It’s comparably priced to other energy drinks, and decidedly better for your system.
Best used with (Complimentary Product)
This product is good for introducing a relatively low dose of CBD into your routine, but we recommend supplementing it with a longer-acting systemic product like the CBD softgels (shown in image below) or oil from Joy Organics. The combined forms of CBD can provide long-lasting symptom relief and sustained energy as you go about your daily activities.
Each box contains 5 servings with 12.5 mg of in each. At $19.95 per box, this works out to a per milligram cost of about $0.32 and a per-serving cost of $3.99. This is pretty comparable to other energy drinks on the market, with the added benefit of CBD and other helpful phytocannabinoids.
This product is fairly unique at this stage, with most CBD manufacturers choosing to focus on products like tinctures and softgels. We’re excited at the prospect of replacing, even partially, our coffee/energy drink habit with something that’s less potentially damaging in the long term, and there aren’t a lot of products out there at this time that offers comparable benefits. Like each of Joy Organics’ products, this energy drink mix meets our CBD Buyer’s Guide criteria for quality, purity, and potency.
DIRECTIONS: As a dietary supplement, mix one packet with 12-24 oz of water depending on desired strength. Can be used before, during, or after workouts.
- Serving Size: 1 Packet
- Servings Per Container: 5
- Amount Per Serving Calories: 0
- Vitamin A (as Beta Carotene): 1,000 IU (20%)
- Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid): 20 mg (33%)
- Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol): 150 IU (38%)
- Vitamin E (as D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate): 10 IU (33%)
- Vitamin K (as Phytonadione): 12.5 mcg (16%)
- Thiamine (as Thiamine HCL): 0.75 mg (50%)
- Vitamin B2 (as Riboflavin): 1 mg (59%)
- Niacin (as Niacinamide): 25 mg (125%)
- Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCL): 1.5 mg (75%)
- Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin): 25 mcg (417%)
- Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium D-Pantothenate): 12.5 mg (125%)
- Phosphorous (as Amino Acid Chelate): 25 mg (2.5%)
- Chromium (as Amino Acid Chelate): 150 mcg (125%)
- Potassium (as Potassium Chloride): 45 mg (1.5%)
- JOY ORGANICS BLEND: (Green Grown Vegan Glucosamine, N-Acetyl-L-Glutamine, L-Arginine-L-Pyroglutamate, Tyrosine, Taurine, L-Theanine, Bromelain, Aloe Vera Leaf Powder, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Beta Alanine, Asian Ginseng Root Powder, Moco Root Powder, Caffeine Anhydrous, Full Spectrum Water Soluble Phytocannabinoid-Rich Hemp Powder, Glycine, Yohimbe Bark Extract): 1428 mg, BCAA Blend: (Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine) 75 mg
OTHER INGREDIENTS: Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Red Beet Root Powder, Natural and Artificial Fruit Punch Flavor, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, and Stevia