Drug testing is an unfortunate reality for millions of cannabis consumers across the US, even in states that have legalized the herb for recreational use. Unlike many substances that carry a much higher risk of abuse, dependence, and overdose (looking at you, opioids), the active ingredient in cannabis, THC, can hang around in your body’s fatty tissues for days, weeks, or even months after your last puff or edible.
This makes passing drug tests daunting for cannabis consumers, especially those of us that take the herb regularly or prefer edibles over smoking or vaping. Even in legal states, testing positive for THC can disqualify you for a job (New York City recently adopted legislation that prohibits employers for testing for THC, but so far no other cities or states have followed suit). Without the best drug test products of 2019, your career might be in doubt.
Fortunately, there are ways to pass a drug test, even at very short notice. The key to pulling off a successful negative result is choosing a product that works; even the strictest observance of detox instructions can be foiled by subpar cleansing products. Here, we’ve compiled the best drug test products of 2019, each designed to help you pass.
We’ve broken down our list into four categories, with products created to help consumers pass urine, hair, and saliva drug tests (the three most common forms of drug testing), followed by an additional category for home drug testing kits. We’ll lay out what we like about each of the products listed here, along with any special considerations to make before purchase.
Criteria for Listing
Before we begin, we should lay out a little bit of information about our selection process. Each of the products listed here has been personally and rigorously tested by our team. To make the cut to be considered one of the best drug test products of 2019, a product must be effective above all else — when used as directed, each of these products are effective for their indicated purposes.
Secondly, they are safe for human consumption; while it may not be the best idea to use detox products very frequently, each of our best drug test products of 2019 are free of harmful ingredients that could cause adverse effects in the average consumer when used as directed. Finally, each of these products are simple to use and require no special equipment that isn’t included in the product.
Urine Drug Screen Products
Urine drug screens are just now beginning to fall out of fashion, but they still dominate the drug testing industry and will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Because of this, we focused our attention on this category in order to provide a broad variety of products for consumers of all levels and needs. While our personal favorite method for passing a urine drug screen is substitution, we’ll also talk about a few different detox options for when subbing out your sample isn’t an option.
- Powdered Human Urine Kit – Unlike the powdered or premixed synthetic urine options available from other retailers, this kit consists of powdered human urine, ensuring that your sample won’t be flagged for tampering. The kit includes enough urine powder for your sample, contained within a convenient plastic vial. It also contains specialized warmers to bring your sample to temperature, as well as a highly accurate temperature strip that makes it easy to know when your sample is ready to go. While it’s more difficult to use this kit for a supervised drug test, it is our go-to for most pre-employment tests and a standout among the best drug test products of 2019. For more details about user experience, check out our detailed review of the powdered human urine kit from TestClear. We prefer this kit over competitors because it is:
- Easy to use for unsupervised tests
- The most reliable way to ensure a passing result on a urine drug test
- Bulk discounts available when purchasing multiple kits
- Toxin Rid Detox System – If you decide to go the detox route, a Detox System from Toxin Rid is our preferred method to ensure that your system is clear of THC on test day. Available from TestClear, each kit contains cleansing tablets to be taken with plenty of water that will help ignite your body’s natural cleansing capabilities, purging your system of THC. They also contain an electrolyte-mineral shot to boost cleansing, along with a dose of dietary fiber. Both of these components are to be taken on the day of testing. One of our favorite things about these kits is that they’re available in variable durations, from 1-day to 10-day detoxes. We recommend choosing the appropriate duration for your level of use — if you smoked a blunt with some buddies two weekends ago, the 1-day detox should suffice, but don’t expect the same results if you chief like Cheech (in which case, we recommend choosing the 10-day detox). When used appropriately, this is a reliable cleanse and one of the best drug test products of 2019. We describe our experience with the Toxin Rid Detox Systems here; we love the kit because it’s:
- Relatively gentle on the body, making it a good choice for sensitive systems
- Customizable according to your level of use
- Mega Clean Detox Drink – When we need to pass a urine drug test in a pinch, this is the product we reach for. Suitable for occasional to moderate cannabis consumers, Mega Clean’s tropical punch flavor goes down easy and helps you pass a urine drug test for up to 5 hours from consumption, with maximum cleansing power at 3 hours. We recommend at least 48 hours of abstinence from THC prior to using Mega Clean, but lighter consumers may be able to get away with less. When used as directed, Mega Clean will help ensure a clean result on test day. This is one of our tried-and-true products and an absolute staple of the best drug test products of 2019. We talk about our experience with Mega Clean in detail here, but we like it most because it is:
- Palatable for most consumers
- Effective when used as directed
- Excellent for short-notice tests
- Bulk discounts available on multiple bottles from TestClear
- XXtra Clean Detox Drink – An extra-concentrated detox drink designed to flush the systems of moderate to heavy consumers, XXtra Clean is our choice for short-notice cleansing for heavy consumers. If you’re a daily user, XXtra Clean will help you pass your test when used as directed (though we strongly recommend at least 48 hours of abstention prior to testing). Like Mega Clean, XXtra Clean provides a 5-hour window during which you will test clean, with maximum effect at 3 hours. Check our our detailed review here for more information on why we consider XXtra Clean one of the best drug test products of 2019. We like XXtra Clean because it is:
- Potent and effective for moderate to heavy consumers
- Tropical fruit flavor goes down smoothly
- Effective for short-term detoxing
- Bulk discounts available from TestClear on purchases of multiple bottles
Hair Drug Screen Products
While they’re far less common than urine drug screens, hair tests are pretty intimidating. This is because, unlike other types of tests, hair drug tests detect substances up to 90 days from consumption (and even longer, though these tests only look at a 1.5 inches of hair, about 90 days worth of growth for the average person). There are several methods out there that attempt to strip traces of THC and other substances from the hair shaft, but most of these involve repeated bleaching and recoloring of hair (we can feel hairdressers everywhere cringing at the mere mention of it), causing substantial damage to your hair.
Fortunately, there are cleansing shampoos available that work to effectively remove THC and other substances from the hair shaft without frying your hair. So before you reach for the bleach — or worse, the razor! — check out our top cleansing shampoos to help you pass your drug test and save your tresses.
- Aloe Toxin Rid Shampoo – With its fresh scent and powerful cleansing properties, this shampoo is our favorite product to help us pass hair drug tests. While it’s a bit pricey, a little goes a very long way (and you’ll only need to focus the product on the hair closest to the scalp at the crown of the head, since this is where testing administrators will take their sample from) and it is effective. Wash your hair as many times as you’re able to before your test for thorough cleansing — the aloe vera extract helps smooth and condition hair, returning the moisture lost during cleansing (you can read about our experience with the shampoo here). Aloe Toxin Rid Shampoo is one of the best drug test products of 2019 and our go-to cleanser because it is:
- Effective for even heavy consumers
- Gentle on hair, sparing your follicles from damage
- Zydot Ultra Clean Shampoo – This three-part system is a great way to amp up your cleansing routine for ultimate cleanliness and confidence. First, the shampoo opens up the hair’s structure to reveal the core within. Then, the purifier removes contaminants and cleanses the hair shaft thoroughly. Finally, the conditioner restores moisture and manageability, adding shine and sealing the cuticle of the hair to reduce damage. We prefer to use this product in addition to the Aloe Toxin Rid shampoo rather than as a replacement, especially for frequent consumers. Our favorite way to use it is as a final deep clean before testing — the conditioning step is excellent for nourishing hair that’s a little bedraggled from intensive cleansing. Check out our detailed review here; we consider Zydot Ultra Clean one of the best drug test products of 2019 because it:
- Works well for all hair types and minimizes damages
- Effectively cleanses hair of contaminants without excessive dryness
- Bulk discounts available from TestClear on purchases of multiple units
Saliva Drug Screen Products
The saliva test is growing in popularity among employers, and for good reason: mouth swabs are much less invasive than urine or blood tests and, unlike urine screens, saliva tests give a sense of recent THC consumption over long-term usage patterns. A test administrator swabs the subject’s mouth, then tests the saliva for THC and any other substances.
Since THC doesn’t hang out in saliva nearly as long as it does in urine or hair (48 hours as opposed to weeks or even months), this makes saliva tests much easier to beat than other types of testing. This is the only category with a single product, and it isn’t for no reason — this is our go-to, failsafe product that has never let us down. We’ve passed saliva tests after smoking less than an hour before the test using this stuff, and it’s achieved “swear by it” status among our testers.
- Toxin Rid Rescue Wash Mouthwash – While the taste of this mouthwash isn’t our favorite (it’s intensely tingly and makes for an, um, interesting sensory experience), it is outstanding at removing THC from saliva before testing. We’ve obtained clean results with this product every single time we’ve used it, even after smoking just an hour before testing. We can see Rescue Wash being especially helpful to keep on hand if your company uses mouth swabs for their random drug testing program — just rinse twice according to the directions, and you’re good to go! Check out our full review here; Rescue Wash is absolutely one of the best drug test products of 2019 and our favorite way to pass a saliva test because it:
- Works consistently, even on extremely short notice
- Thoroughly cleanses saliva of trace substances, including THC
- Is very user-friendly and practically foolproof
- Bulk discounts available from TestClear on purchases of multiple units
At-Home Drug Testing Products
There are a variety of reasons you might want or need to take a drug test at home. Perhaps you want to make sure that your detox worked before the big day, or maybe you’re monitoring the presence of THC in your system for a tolerance break or for medical purposes. Whatever your reasons, it’s important to choose a test you can be confident in using. Here are the best drug testing products of 2019 when it comes to home testing kits. Available in bulk or individually, these drug testing kits are simple to use and provide accurate, consistent results. Note that each of these kits are also available for other substances, but we focused our attention on THC-specific testing kits.
- Marijuana Urine Drug Test Kit – This urine drug test kit contains the testing apparatus, which is similar in design to a pregnancy or other urine test. To use the test, immerse the tip of the testing stick into your sample for 10 seconds, then cap the testing stick and allow the urine to be absorbed into the results window. The kit is very easy to use and provides reliable, accurate results (you can read up on our experience with it here). This is our favorite THC urine drug test and one of the best drug test products of 2019 because it:
- Is easy to use without any mess or stress
- Provides quick and accurate results
- Available at a discount from TestClear when purchasing multiple kits
- Marijuana Saliva Drug Test Kit – Once you know what you’re doing, this kit is easy to use: simply unwrap the sanitary swab included in the kit, then hold it in your mouth for 1-3 minutes, until it is sufficiently saturated with saliva. Then, insert the swab into the testing apparatus and snap it down securely. This squeezes the saliva out of the swab and onto the testing panels. The testing kit works quickly and unobtrusively while maintaining accuracy (read about our experience with it here). This simple swab is hands-down one of the best drug test products of 2019 for its simplicity and accuracy. We like it best because it’s:
- Easy to use
- Gives quick results
- Available at a discount through TestClear when purchasing multiple kits
Don’t gamble with your career or legal status — choose reliable products to help you pass your drug test. When combined with responsible pre-cleanse habits and hygiene, these products will help reduce the risk of a positive result. To find the best product for your body, we recommend conducting a “dry run” beforehand to test yourself in advance. This offers you the opportunity to make any necessary adjustments well in advance of the big day itself.